Friday, June 10, 2011

EXPLORATION #21 YOUR FAVORITE STREET

Go to your favorite street. (If you can't go there physically, then you can visit in your mind.) Map it out on a piece of paper. Then describe (or otherwise document) everything in detail: the shops, houses, street signs, trees, etc.

It was hard to pick just one favorite street for this exploration. After running through the several in my head I have decided to choose Adena Road.

Adena Road is located inside Adena State Memorial. It is a road that I would visit several times every summer. The road begins as a long winding hill. Even as a child I would notice the large incline you had to climb to reach the top. The road was paved for cars to travel, however a car isn't the mode of transport for children. I would usually ride a bike or walk. After reaching the top, the scene would change. You are transported back in time. I always felt as if I was entering another time, another place. I liked that feeling. It was my own personal escape from my reality. It allowed me to be someone else.




The first thing you come across is the landscaped gardens. They were usually different each summer. I liked them best when they were sculpted high kind of like a labyrinth. The gardens were beautiful. They always gave off a delightful scent.  As you meander through the gardens you will stumble upon a crushed stone path leading up to the main house.








A well maintained mansion built in 1807. The house was designed by Benjamin Henry Latrobe, considered to be the first American architect. Latrobe served as architect of the US Capitol under Thomas Jefferson. The house belonged to Thomas Worthington, the sixth Governor of Ohio and one of the first  US Senators.  As you wander the road you will come across several other buildings that have been restored and maintained to preserve this moment in time.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the viewed inspired your imagination many times as you climbed up and saw that wondrous view! Is it in Ohio then since it belonged to the Governor? It's always good to see buildings here in the US restored instead of torn down. Thanks for sharing! I learned something new!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I neglected to mention that. Adena State Memorial is located in Chillicothe, Ohio. :)

    ReplyDelete